Newbie's quick coop

Wdchickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 25, 2013
So my mother surprised us with chickens on Christmas Day, as my wife posted in another thread. We were unprepared to say the least. So I scrambled to come up with suitable housing with low expense and little time. So I managed to get a shipping crate from work, convert it to a coop and put it In our unused dog kennel. It's not finished yet, but working outside wasn't fun today, as it rained non stop, and only got to about 40 degrees. We used vinyl tile inside, and I made the coop so the one side folds down for clean out and egg harvesting. Due to weather I was not able to paint it, but I'm hoping the kennel roof protects it for a while. I also have to add some roosting bars, nesting boxes, and put chicken wire over the gable ends of the kennel roof. Hopefully tomorrow. This coop wasn't my best work, but it should work until spring when I can make a nice one.

That'll do for now!
I'd pop a couple more vents in there.
the picture doesn't really show it, but there is another vent on the backside, and I'm hoping with the door open all the time during the day it will get sufficient airflow. What do you think?

I ended up putting chicken wire over and gaps I could find. Nothing should be able to get in or out now. And I did end up putting a couple foam insulation boards on top with some rolled roofing over that. Hopefully will trap a little more heat and keep any moisture at bay. I doubt it will see much rain. In the location I put it, the house and trees block most hard driving rains. But there are the occasional spring storms that come in hard. At least what water that does land on the coop I can sweep off.

Back
Top Bottom