Newbies to chickie world :) Need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by daisyderrick, Jun 30, 2011.

1. daisyderrick

daisyderrick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    We are totally brand new at this and I have a few questions:

Here are our chicks now:
    [​IMG]

1. When can they go in the coop? (When finished it will be a 4x8 house w/ a 10x10 outdoor run, fenced in w/ the fencing buried underground and covered to protect from predators)

2. Do I have the breeds correct? (These are what we picked out, but were so excited to get them we didn't make sure we knew what was what, once they were all mixed up we were confused. So, this is what we detemined based on process of elimination [​IMG]

Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas:
    [​IMG]

Blue Laced Red Wyandotte:
    [​IMG]

Speckled Sussex: (See how small the one fella is? He is active and is eating and drinking, but doesn't really seem to be growing? Do you think he is just younger?)
    [​IMG]

Dominiques
    [​IMG]

Marans
    [​IMG]

Salmon Faverolle and another Ameraucana (can't remember what type)
    [​IMG]

3. Any guesses to sex?

4. After chick starter, what is the best combination for feeding them?

5. We bought the un-medicated chick starter and have been using Duramycin in their water? How long should we do this?

This is the best website ever!
    Thanks in advance for any helpful info!

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    ok....one, your pics are very small, and I am not familiar with those breeds, also they are awfully young to sex yet...keep posting pics, we will help you eventually! lol

1. into the coop, where do you live, is it still cold at night? Usually when they feather out, and can handle the cooler temps of night...mine started there, with a heat lamp, I didn't have any other chickens in the coop at the time. Watch them, they will tell you if they are warm enough or cold anyhow...do you have them inside the house right now?
    2. not sure on breeds
    3. not sure on sexes
    4. They need chick starter for the first 18 weeks or so till they come to POL, (point of lay) if they are pullets, then switch them to layer feed.
    5. hmm, I have medicated chick starter and mine will get it another 6 weeks till POL, maybe someone else has an idea, never used the un medicated...I am fairly new to this, and not sure on the correct answer for you...

Good luck to you, the chicks are adorable! Take lots of pictures and post often! Any questions what so ever, none are dumb or stupid!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  3. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to the world of chickens! I LOVE it. Since your run is covered and buried they should be fine outside pretty soon. As long as it is warm enough at night. You could make them a smaller shelter inside the big one to cuddle up and keep warm. If you have to get them out soon. They are so cute. Not sure of breeds. I have always used the medicated feed, easier. Yes, when they start laying, feed the layer food. I read somewhere if fed layer food too early can hurt them. Good luck and this is the BEST site for help or posting pics to people that appreciate your chickens! LOL

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Why are you using duramycin for your chicks? Isn't that a powerful antibiotic to use against a bad infection? Medicated chick starter is good, but I would get them off antibiotics unless you are treating something specific because you may cause some antibiotic resistance for later on if one of them really needed it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Just a guess here but I think you have the blue wheaten AM and the BLRW backwards. Not real familliar with what the chicks look like but I think BLRW have yellow legs.
    [​IMG]

6. Johnboy78

Johnboy78 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    I'm brand new too.
    I put my chicks out at six weeks,
    night temps generally in the mid sixties,
    days 70's and 80's.

They been out a week and they are doing great.

They have been getting non-medicated starter feed from the start..
    I'm thinking I should start thinking about changing them
    over to pullet feed. I think I read 10 weeks somewhere
    but I have to do a little more research.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:wait to switch to layer feed till around 18 weeks, then slowly add it in with the starter..they will need it for strong egg shells, but not too early, 10 weeks is a bit soon. If you want, throw them some scratch and sunflowers seeds for a change...

8. daisyderrick

daisyderrick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Thanks for the info. We were told, by tsc, that we should do duramycin in the water since we got the non-medicated chick feed. We started w/ regular water but they seemed to be getting diarrhea so we started the duramycin. I think we will stop it and switch to the medicated feed. We are in NC and our temps are 85-100 during the day and in the 70's at night. They are outside on our screened porch in a long plywood box w/ 2 lamps

How do I make the pictures larger?

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    1. I would wait until about 4-5 weeks.
    2. Looks like you got the breeds right to me. [​IMG]
    3. It's still a bit early to determine their sex. I would wait a few more weeks and then ask again.
    4. I had my chicks on chick starter until they were 10 weeks I believe. Then I switched to starter/grower (that was what the back of the feed bag recomended) And then at 15-16 weeks I switched to layer feed. You don't want to feed layer feed too early as too much calcium can be harmful for chicks.

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Very cute chicks, that I know of TSC doesn't carry Ameraucana, they are most likely Easter Eggers and very pretty at that.

Agree with the others to switch off the antibiotics and onto medicated starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by