1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Spotsyltucky, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Spotsyltucky

Spotsyltucky New Egg

Oct 6, 2011
    Greetings from 2 retired folks in southwest Spotsylvania County VA. We're out in the country on modest acreage and decided to start raising chickens to complement our horses and cats.

We got our first chicks in February - 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks. Turns out 2 of the Rocks were cockerels and one was meaner than mean - he made a tasty dinner. . . . Our girls gave us their first egg on July 31st at about 18 weeks. Since then they lay 3 to 4 eggs daily. At least up to this week - sadly, a dog killed one our Reds and we're back to 3 a day.

Being new to chickens we didn't know exactly what to do for a coop and run. BYC folks had good ideas that we adapted to our situation and needs. We converted the back ½ of a garden shed to a coop with 3 nesting boxes, 3 roosts at various heights and plenty of ventilation. The coop opens to a 12’ x 12’ run with a couple of roosts.

We put the chicks in the coop/run about mid May but because we were not eager to let them free range, they stayed there thru June. That’s when we decided to let them free range – they love it, our bug population has noticeably diminished and they put themselves to bed each day about an hour before sunset.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    I have ancestors from your area!

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Glad to have you aboard!

[​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

9. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    [​IMG] From Massachusetts!!

10. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    And [​IMG] from my part of Connecticut.
    Isn't it great how they put themselves to bed, and never needed any suggestion from us?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by