Newborn Attacked By Ants

Minibilly1124

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Last Wednesday's Newborns escaped cage, and got trampled by another game hen. Went to remove from coop after covered by fire ants and three were still moving. After a week I just have one left in the incubator in the bedroom. He was doing great until yesterday when I noticed the eye most bitten was swollen and leaking a clear fluid. Im not a chicken farmer, I just have a 3 rescued game hens that I let nest with my Barred Cochin. Should I try to drain the fluid, or place any over the counter medications on it? Warm Compress, Neosporin? Should I remove the hay from incubator and try to find a more sterile bedding? I can go to the feed store tomorrow to see what they have, but maybe someone could help me ease this little guy's discomfort tonight. He's not opening the good eye too much anymore and I am afraid the infection is spreading. He is eating and drinking, but cannot see at all. Don't mind having a blind chicken, just sure don't want him to suffer. My neighbor is a dog breeder and has a small pharmacy that I could probably ask for something, but I have no idea what is safe or effective. Im still doing research, hope to hear from you soon. I have a few images, but no idea how to insert them into forum. Can email them or something, if you think they would be useful...

Warm cotton ball compressed brought out lots of infection and black cap. Eye is clear, but still held tightly shut. Put neosporin around eye. Looks like tiny little bites around lid. Hope he feels better.

yeah!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom