Newborn baby chick--lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ccmarie, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    It looks like we may be too late, but is there anything I can do for her? She's a week old, and since day one she's been constantly making noise, though she perks up when held or in a bunch with the other nine chicks. Today she's been sleepy and lying sprawled across the brooder. I admit I haven't been very good at keeping the cage clean...maybe pregnancy and starting baby chicks is a bad combination. Anyway, she still wakes up and peeps a little when I pick her up, but most of the time she's just lying on my lap. We don't have any medication or anything--this is my first time with chickens (except for our batch one month older) and as a child my parents were not the most attentive chicken raisers either. We had one from the first batch suddenly die of unknown causes, except she was stumbling around and couldn't seem to walk straight the day before. Anyway, is there anything I can do for this chick? Anything I should do to keep trouble from spreading to the others?

2. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    Her poop is bloody.

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Sounds like coccidiosis. You need to go to the feed store when it opens and get some amprolium ( I use Corid (used for cattle, but can be used for poultry). You should do this ASAP the peeping means s/he is in pain.

Dosage:

9.5 mL of Corid (liquid) per gallon

Keep it the water medicated w/ Corid for five (5) days.

It is necessary to keep the brooder clean, coccidia multiply in dirty environments. Chicks get re-infected when they peck at each others poop.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks. It's too late for her, but we're going to deep clean the brooder for the other ones. Should we medicate the remainder?

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, medicate the rest with Corid. Sorry for your loss.

6. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    If she was living with the others, then they may be infected too.
    At the feed store it should come in a bottle and should say "Corid (amprolium) 9.6 (liquid)". Sometimes you have to ask for it over the counter. Dosages I use are above.

Good luck.

7. ccmarie

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    If cattle and chicks both get cocci, do I need to worry about me or the kids?

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

No, you do not. Chickens get chicken coccidiosis, turkeys get turkey coccidiosis, cows, dogs, peafowl, goats, sheep, all get their own types.

FYI, chickens get at least 9 different types.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by