Newborn bantam Silkie chick being raised alone

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emerina, Aug 22, 2011.

1. emerina

emerina New Egg

Aug 22, 2011
    History: The Mama Silkie (Princess Leia) was sitting on this one egg most of the time but was occasionally pushed off by my Cochin (Chip) when she wanted to lay an egg (not the best system but they insist in laying in the exact same spot). When the baby silkie was born (yesterday), neither hen would care for it and the baby just wandered around until we took it inside. The baby's head is missing some fluff and skin where the mama silkie pecked at it [​IMG] I have applied antibiotic ointment to the head/neck area and it's currently in a brooder with a stuffed animal.

Question: Should I do anything else for the open area and should I get another newborn chick to keep it company? If so, does anyone in the Phoenix area have newborn chicks? Will the Mama Silkie be a better mama in the future?

Thanks

2. lambchicks

lambchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a chick that was hatched with 9 others. Those nine others were murdered my my neighbors dog. So I am in the same situation. I have one c hick that I am raising alone. She stays inside at night cause she is not feathered out yet, but during the day I have started putting her out in a run beside my other girls. I wish I had been able to get another chick too. I know if I put her in while she is too young they older ones will kill her.

3. Lisa0318

Lisa0318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    HI, you can get day old chicks at the feed stores, I live in Phoenix AZ and my fav feed store with silkies is Pratts feed store .

4. emerina

emerina New Egg

Aug 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

This is the pic of the injury. Her head is all greasy from the antibiotic so ignore that part. Any thoughts on what else to do for her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by