Newborn chick attacking it's toe..swollen and bloody

suebee

Speaks Silkie Fluently
16 Years
Apr 1, 2007
N. Carolina
2 of 7 silkie chicks born a few days ago have been attacking their own toes like it's a foreign object. The chick will attack it and scream. I have no bugs in the space with broody mom and chicks. I soaked the worst chick's feet in warm water to get the blood off and reduce swelling but still keeps attacking and screaming. Any feedback would be appreciated.

What do you have covering the floor? If it's wood chips maybe the toes appear and disappear like bugs. If that's the case maybe another material would be better. Then again, by this time maybe they have taught themselves to peck their toes. I can't think of what you could cover the toes with, band-aids?

Thick covering of fine wood bedding from TSC...nice and fluffy. Cannot understand why only 2 of 7 are doing this. I did have a white/clear heat bulb on them the 1st 3 days...took it off today but they're still freaking over their toe.

Well I soaked the toe to get the dried blood off then poured 1 part water-1 part peroxide over toe, dried well. I wrapped a gentle tape around the tiny toe. Hopefully the swelling will go down. He's still picking at it fiercely. I've hatched chicks for almost a decade but this is a first. Posting this as a learning experience for others.

I think I would keep band aids on there feet for a while. I might also change out the kind of bedding they have in case it is bothering them.

Good luck

Might be time for a little chicky shoe. I would cut a small circle out of a heavier gauge paper, mark the center, cut from the outside to the center, then fold into a cone that's large enough to cover all the toes, hold with tape. If needed I'd cut another circle the size of the cone opening and place it as the sole of the shoe. Attach everything with tape. That way maybe he can peck at the paper and leave his poor little toe alone to heal.

Just be very careful and gentle when useing any type of prosthetic device on their very delicate legs and feet. Could cause more injury and could be lifelong, such as joints and bones grow deformed when you only had a problem of them picking at their feet. Its very easy to cause deformity in young birds. Just and FYI. Thats all.

Back
Top Bottom