Newborn chick can't stand after 24 hours but has tons of energy..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aapuzzo, Jun 16, 2016.

1. aapuzzo

aapuzzo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2016
    This is my first time hatching chickens and owning them. I decided to hatch my own flock and they are indoors in an extra bedroom right now.

I think it was able to walk the first few hours but I could be mistaken. It is as alert and strong as the others that are now running around. It is sitting on butt with legs out in front and a little to the sides. It's legs aren't paralyzed because they move fast like it is trying to run and it actually manages to move itself around. It can scoot itself forward and spin in circles. I tried helping it stand and it was able to for a minutes but was trembling, When it was standing the posture looked correct and not deformed. This chick is the biggest out of the group. Any ideas on what I should do?

Here is a URL to a video that should help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aapuzzo/shares/69838m

Thanks,
    Anthony

[​IMG]

2. FalconsNest

FalconsNest Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    I really don't know what it could be. My favorite hen was like that as a chick, a little anyway at first but when I think of it I think it's because she didn't want to move. Maybe your chick is partially paralized? Keep up whatever you're doing, maybe it's legs are a little weak is all. Hopefully she/he will pull through

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I do not know much about this but it might be spaddle legs ( I think that is what it is called). Hopefully someone with more information will know.

4. FalconsNest

FalconsNest Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    Only chicks with Maran's Disease get spraddle legs... Did your chicks get the vaccine??

5. aapuzzo

Jun 16, 2016
    No vaccine. It was only a few hours.

6. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Vitamins/electrolytes in the water are always a good thing for anomalies the first few weeks.

I've seen the same issue in a few of our chicks, hopefully you can get them fixed. Eating and drinking is usually the problem since they can't move around correctly.

Others have more experience with this, hopefully they'll chime in.

Good luck.

7. aapuzzo

Jun 16, 2016
    Thanks for the replies. I think it's spraddle leg but may be wrong. I tried the band-aid over night and I saw him on his feet for a second this morning which was better than before. I'm going to try and hand feed him this morning and maybe make a better brace. silkie chickens seem harder to make the brace. I don't think all chicks have feathers on their lower legs and toes. Also if I'm not mistaken silkies have an extra back toe.

What type of vitamins should I use?

8. FalconsNest

FalconsNest Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    I think a packet of vitamin water/electrolytes would be the only vitamin supplement you can give a chick that young. You add the packet to the water and coax the lil chick into drinking it. Vitamin packs can be found at a Tractor Supply during chick season or ordered from a chicken supplier, under names like "Sav-a-Chick".

Best of luck to you :D

9. aapuzzo

Jun 16, 2016
    Thanks!! I took the Band-Aid off and he is up and eating the starter feed I placed on my carpet since it has better grip. Looks like he has a chance. I'll probably put the brace back on for a while and bring legs in closer. Also I don't want him to get reinjured while I'm not watching.

[​IMG]

10. FalconsNest

FalconsNest Just Hatched

Jun 16, 2016
    awww!! So cute :) You're very welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by