Newborn chick found under nest..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hannah1999, Apr 1, 2015.

1. hannah1999

hannah1999 New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    We have a flock of 6 chickens and 1 turkey. We have 3 roosters out of the 6. Recently, we've noticed the eggs have been fertilized; so we decided to try and hatch some chicks. This is our first time, and a couple days ago 4 chicks hatched. They are Americaunas. Today, we decided to clean out the coop because the mother had stopped laying on the eggs, and was beginning to take care of the little ones. After moving the chicks and hen to a separate coop, I began cleaning out the coop. Underneath the wood shavings, was a small chick. It looked like she was dead, and was all curled up. She was still alive, however, and I brought her into my room, where I have a heat lamp. I placed her in a box with fresh shavings and gave her drops of water about an hour ago, and continued to give her water. She is now chirping, and has managed to sit up. It looks as if her legs are very weak, as she has not walked yet. Awhile ago, she was laying on her back with her legs shaking violently, but it has stopped now. She seems very lively now, and is chirping constantly. I'm just wondering what I do from this point? Thank you all.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If she is walking and acting normally, you could try to sneak her under Mama Broody tonight.

3. hannah1999

hannah1999 New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Alright, thank you. Do you think the other chicks will hurt her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by