1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newborn chick has neck twisted back, can't walk or sit up?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PoultryPeeps, Jan 30, 2011.

1. PoultryPeeps

PoultryPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Just hatched some Lemon Blue Cochins, of course this is the prettiest of the bunch....
    When I first found her in the incubator, she was upside down in the egg carton (in an empty cell) with her head tipped all the way back into the neighboring cell. I thought she was dead! But I picked her up and I don't know if she is actually deformed, but her head is not strong enough or something for her to hold it properly. It just lolls back and is twisted to the side. Also her legs are not exactly splayed, but they are more apart than they should be. I have taped her up every way I know and she is so strong and squirmy that it never stays. She is a very strong chick and fat and should be healthy!!! Any advice pleeeeease! [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Seems like people have had some luck with infant vitamins; you get the kind without iron, I keep reading. Might try a search on wry neck. I really don't know, never dealt with anything like this.

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Sounds Like Wry Neck, Does it look like this? That is an RIR chick that I had hatch with Wry Neck. Pick up some Poly-Vi-Sol without Iron Infant Vitamins, I don't remember how much you give, but do a search of "Wry Neck Poly-Vi-Sol" and you should get more info. I think it is like 2 drops 3 times a day, but research first because it has been a long time since I have used it.

4. PoultryPeeps

PoultryPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Wasilla, Alaska
    THANKS to you guys for responding! Yes, it is wry neck. I got some vitamin B and vitamin E and have been giving a drop of each - supposed to be 4 times a day but I'm gone all day to work, so I have only given it 3 times between last nite and today, but IT IS WORKING! She is already looking better, and I feel very hopeful that she will make a full recovery! Thanks again! [​IMG]
    Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by