1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newborn chick has red scaly back w/ feathers missing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ranchocabral, Jul 29, 2008.

1. ranchocabral

ranchocabral New Egg

Jul 28, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    My just hatched chick has a red scaly back with most of the feathers on its back missing. I don't know if it came out of the egg this way or got pecked by a hen - it was hatched from its banty moms (2 of them). should I leave it alone or clean it? any suggestions? its about 4 hours old.

2. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I had a buff orpington chick have the same problem when he can out - looked like he'd never get feathers or down on his back or under his wings.
    . we kept kept his bedding extra fluffy & clean , when he could we gave him lots of fresh air and sunshine, and he grew thru it.
    He's just turned 7 weeks and has splotches where the feathers are delayed in growth but they are coming in.
    he's pretty butt-ugly but as a MOM , I olny see how cute he WILL be.

Quote:

3. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    I had a duckling hatch like that. I cleaned it with a light diluted betadine wash. Mine lived but he ended up getting an infection in his spine that affected his legs and he had to go on antibiotics. After the antibiotics he was fine. If you notice it has trouble standing or walking, resembling spraddle leg in some way, I would seek out medical attention.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by