Newborn chick sick-need help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AshleyTX, Mar 5, 2014.

1. AshleyTX

AshleyTX Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    Dallas, Texas
    My newborn baby is super sick/weak. She arrived from the hatchery yesterday morning, but has barely drank/ate since. The others are doing well and walking around, yet she is just laying down and looks to be barely breathing. At one point, she had both legs completely stretched back and was somewhat non-responsive. She doesn't even move a great deal when other chicks step on her. I have a large brooder, so I know space isn't an issue. The temperature is perfect and the others are doing so well in comparison.

I've tried spoon feeding water and food; she only took a little water. This is my first round of chick raising and it is extremely frightening and sad because I don't seem to be helping her. Any advice, or know what is wrong?? She just seems so frail...

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may be too stressed from shipping to make it, but if you keep trying to get some electrolytes into her by dipping her beak every little bit she may surprise you. If you havesome Pedialyte, gatorade, or can make some electrolyte solution, just use that for water on all of your chicks for the next 24 hours. Electrolytes: 1/2tsp salt substitute - leave out if you don't have it, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 1 TB sugar in 1 gallon water. Can divide ingredients by 4 to make 1quart. Sprinkle some feed crumbles paper towel on the floor in front of her, but drinking is most important today. Don't beat yourself up if this little one doesn't make it because it happens.

3. AshleyTX

Feb 28, 2014
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks for the advice! I tried getting her to drink the solution, but she won't and is completely limp at this point. 'Domino' is just opening and closing her mouth repeatedly now, with no noise. Simply heart wrenching!!

4. AshleyTX

Feb 28, 2014
    Dallas, Texas
    Help no longer needed, but thanks. Domino went to the bridge about 30 minutes ago.
    :( !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by