Newborn chick unable to walk

judifur

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Good morning.

So I am about to tell a story which include mistakes on my part,

I assisted a chick hatching. This is my first hatch. I'm that person doing what you folks tell people like me NOT to do. Keep that in mind when/if you reply.

Dude date was Monday night. I had 8 eggs. Four didn't make it past day 10 (either not fertile or early death) Out of the four left, one hatched Tuesday, mid day. He is a firebrand. This isn't about him. He's more than fine.

This is about his sibling. after Firebrand hatched I candled the other eggs because no one pipped yet. Two had no life, one did. I put them all back just in case I have no idea what I'm doing.

24 hours goes by. No progress. I shouldn't be candling again but I'm nosy. The one with life is moving but he's in the same spot. After a ton of research and conflicting opinions I decide to poke a tiny hole in the air space close to where his beak is. He pipped internally. I put him back and up the humidity. This is probably mistake number one.

Fast forward to Friday. He hasn't made any progress. In a moment of panic/desperation i help remove his shell. I know either a: he isn't meant for this world or b: my nosiness jacked up his hatch.

So last night I had a little twitching, curled up chick, yolk looked absorbed, very little blood. His little legs were twitching, head kinda lolling around, wings flapping, peeping angrily. I put him back into the incubator in a smallish paper towel lined bowl.

We looked at him from time to time, he was not trying to stand up. He's just laying there twitching. Time for bed.

This morning he looks a little more lively. He pooped. However he's not tried to stand up. I reach in and carefully pick him up. He feels stronger but he cannot right his head. His neck looks crooked in the same way he was in his shell. He remains on his side just twitching his legs and wings. I am starting to think he needs his toes splinted among other things. The boyfriend asks what I am going to do. I dunno. I don't know if he was meant to be here. What have i done? Is it too early to tell if this is a lost cause?

I gave him a couple drops of save-a-chick and i devised a little sling/hammock out of an old sock. I put two holes for his feeties, two holes for his wings. his head and neck are resting in there in a better alignment. So he is hanging from the top of the incubator in an upright way. I dunno if this has any purpose other than to make me feel better that he's upright.

He is peeping so loud and angry like he wants to live. His little feet keep twitching. I am not really sure where to go from here.

I understand if he lives he might need special care. I am okay with this. But I am not sure what my next step should be. Wait? Do you need more information?

First of all, I don't think that your intervention is what did the harm. It sounds like he has some neurological issues.
Is he fully fluffed?
If so put him in with his hatchmate, if not leave him be until he is.
Do you think he has enough control of his head to drink?
The main thing that I do for a failing chick is electrolytes (Quik Chick). They either have a will to live or they don't. Electrolytes will give him the boost he needs.
If he can't drink on his own you will need to keep him hydrated with a dropper, every half an hour or so. He doesn't need food quite yet but if he does eat that is a good sign.

Thank you for your reply. He sure is hanging in there despite being pretty floppy and uncoordinated.

I appreciate letting me know I probably didn't do this to him. I've been beating myself up about it.

His hatch mate is not friendly towards him at all I have him in a little isolated crate in the brooder with his grumpy sibling. He's still in his little medical hammock. I splinted his crazy toes (hard to do because he is so darn wiggly.)

I've been using a dropper to give him electrolytes. I guess we will see how it goes. I feel like he woulda died in that egg. Now maybe he has a chance.

Back
Top Bottom