Newborn chick urgent help needed!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Classy Chick, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Classy Chick

Classy Chick Chirping

Oct 18, 2012
    Chick hatched at around five this morning, but now shes just laying down with her eyes closed . Is this normal? Is she sick?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hatching is hard work. They generally take a while to recuperate and become active. I'm assuming she is still in the incubator keeping warm.

3. Classy Chick

Classy Chick Chirping

Oct 18, 2012
    Shes been in the incubator, could she be too hot? She just seems really out of it...

4. Stewarts

Stewarts Songster

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    Where are you keeping the chick? Is it still in the incubator or in a brooder area? Get a heat lamp on the chick, could be its too cold and that kills them. Add SuperBoost to the water. Add plain, unflavored yogurt to the chick starter and make a mash, put some in the beak to get the chick to eat and get some SuperBoost water into it. SuperBoost will turn the water yellow and you have to replace it every 24 hours. Keep the chick warm, not overly hot and see what happens.

5. Stewarts

Stewarts Songster

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    The chick will not overheat in the bator but you may want to remove it to a brooder with a heat lamp and get the chick to eat and drink. Don't let the chick get dehydrated.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The chick will not need to and may very well not eat for 24 to 48 hours. Remaining nutrition from the absorbed yolk will be enough until then. This survival ability makes possible the shipping of newly hatched chicks. If there are other eggs in the incubator, it is not a good idea to be frequently opening it.

7. Classy Chick

Classy Chick Chirping

Oct 18, 2012
    Shes inside a home maid Styrofoam incubator ay 99 degrees. Is that ok? She is kind of scooting around. Its my first chick ever so im a nervous wreck. I dont have any super boost, but I have vanilla yogurt? I have to leave at 11 and am getting back around five. Hopefully she will be ok. Thank you for responding so quickly!

8. Classy Chick

Classy Chick Chirping

Oct 18, 2012
    She just got a drink and is pecking at the chick starter!

9. The chick needs to stay in the incubator for at least 24 hours. Chicks won't eat or drink much for the first 48 hours either.

10. Classy Chick

Classy Chick Chirping

Oct 18, 2012
    Thank you all so much! I feel so much better now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by