Newborn Chick w/ Yolk Sac

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Megzyloo, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Megzyloo

Megzyloo New Egg

Jul 29, 2011
    Good morning everyone! I have been a lurker for a couple of months here but it is my first time posting.

This is also my first ever time raising chicks so bear with with me... My hen laid a few eggs and 3 of them hatched on the 27th and they are doing just fine. However, one hatched yesterday afternoon and I noticed that a little yellow thing is sticking out of his belly. He began to perk up before bed time but when I woke up this morning he seemed to be weaker and never even opened his eyes or couldn't lift up his head. The little sac looks to be the size of a pea and I was hoping he would absorb it overnight but didn't.

I am at work worrying myself over the little thing that I cannot concentrate. If he is still alive when I get home what do I do?

2. Beaker Duck

Beaker Duck BYC's CUTE Travelling Mascot

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    Hello! I'm sorry your post had not received an answer- it must have gotten lost by the wayside. Was the chick still alive? Has the yolk been absorbed?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Most of the time it will dry up and fall off. How is the little one doing now?

And [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by