Newborn chick with 1-2 week chicks?

NJDrew

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2017
Hello Everyone,

We are new to chicks and chickens and recently purchased 1-2 week old chicks when we started seeing dramatic loss in our incubator. Well one of the 3 eggs, that were still viable, hatched last night, so now we have a newborn and 6 1-2 week old chicks. We have them separated right now, but how long until we can put the newborn(s hopefully) with the older chicks?

Thank you, Drew

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

The other poster gave good advice. Make sure the chick is stable.

The other chicks really start a pecking order after about 4 weeks. So before that should be OK. Just remember to accommodate the heat needs of both.

And if you haven't already, maybe bring in some dirt from your yard for them to bathe in and develop some immunity before going out full time and while they still are still young is best.

Best wishes for the rest of your hatch!
fl.gif

I put 3 day old chicks in with some about a week old and won't do it again in the future. The big ones were more agile and their legs more "sea worthy". The little ones would get smashed a little bit. I definitely wouldn't incorporate chicks of a greater age difference. Plus the itty bitties are at more of a disadvantage getting enough feed.
Everybody turned out alright in my brooder with special considerations being made but for future flocks all chicks will be the same age for me!
I would keep them separated for a week or two until the younger ones get stronger then put them together. I believe pecking order begins about week 3 so if they're incorporate thereabouts all should be good.

Thank you Everyone for the advice. I think we will wait until the end of the week and then try to put them together. Here are some pics of the new chick and the older ones:

I've mixed ages by up to 3 weeks but never with chicks younger than 3 days. The bigger ones do run over the smaller ones a bit but chicks are surprisingly resilient and better to be knocked around a little than alone, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom