Newborn chick with a problem. Please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nmalcom14, Dec 7, 2011.

1. nmalcom14

nmalcom14 New Egg

Dec 7, 2011
    I had a chick that hatched out yesterday and we think that it may have internal problems. The bottom side if its stomach is darker (which makes us think it could have internal bleeding). It has bleed some. Please let me know what yall think

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. Melanie 11

Melanie 11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Athens
    Nick needs some good advice. I saw the chick today. We soaked her bottom in some warm water. could not get it all off. Vent is swollen and very dark like maybe bleeding under the skin. I have never seen anything like it. Yesterday it had something hanging out??? I am no experience with this.....Please help:barnie

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I am sorry to hear your chick is going through this hardship, and it does sound like internal bleeding. Is the chick eating and drinking on it's own? Does it show signs of lethargy, or being unable to do regular chick activities?

4. nmalcom14

nmalcom14 New Egg

Dec 7, 2011
    Yes it does eat and drink on its own, but you can tell somethings wrong by the way it acts. We have set the spot in warm water to try and clean it up. What else should I do?

5. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't know if it will help but you can get a powder at the feed stores called "save a chick" It is electrolyte water for chicks. It can't hurt though I am so sorry for you and your precious baby [​IMG] [​IMG] ! It's hard when they are so small and delicate [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. nmalcom14

nmalcom14 New Egg

Dec 7, 2011
    Yes mam I have that in their water now so hopefully it will be alright

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I would isolate the chick from the others so that they won't start pecking at it. Electrolytes are perfect for it. At this point, the only other thing you can do is make sure that it is not pasting up around it's vent (which would plug it up and kill it).

It is possible that it's umbillical was torn, and bled a bit internally. If that happened, then the chick could possibly recover once it's body removes all the excess blood under the skin (kind of like a mega bruise).

Unfortunately, if it's an internal organ that's bleeding instead, the kindest thing you can do is cull it. You'll just have to observe it for a day or so. If the dark patch fades, then it has a fighting chance.

Good luck!

8. nmalcom14

nmalcom14 New Egg

Dec 7, 2011
    yes mam thanks for the help

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Good advice above and [​IMG] to the BYC

10. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps