Newborn Chick with lump on its head

ab2401

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Woodstock, AL
Anyone know what this might be, what caused it, is it harmful, can I do anything about it and will it go away?
Any info will be greatly appreciated, the chick is a Serama hatched this morning. If that helps at all.

IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_4606.jpg

I hate to say this to you, but he will have to be killed. You can not have a bird like this in your flock. She or he will be picked on and attacked, and he or she will never grow to its' potential. Good luck.

That is strange it looks like the skin was pealed back, i have never seen anything like it from one just hatched.

I have seen stuff like this from a rooster attacking a young one and it healed fine, but i don't know if just being hatched it would heal the same, my injured one never even acted injured ,.

The scull is closed or you would see brain matter the skin is not connected over the scull

I guess it is your call, you can wait and see if it heals like an injury would if he is eating and alert or just cull and avoid some heart ache

that may occur with the loss after trying.

Thanks for sharing learn something new every day.

Last edited:
HudsonValleyGirl, sorry I guess we were responding at the same time because I didn't see your post. This chick was born into no kill family. Neither myself or my husband would be able to do that. We have a crooked beak hen we were also told would have to be killed but shes doing fine after make things a little different in the coop for her. I'm hoping maybe it will be able to hold its own. I wouldn't mind building a pen just for it. However of course If it is suffering I might be able to track down a vet to do the dirty work for me. I'm just hoping its not as bad as it looks.

The chick so far is acting fine, however I dont have much to go by these are bator babies all of our other chicks have been hatched by hens and we really didn't see much of their behavior until the hen took them out of the box. I wish I could make the poor guy a helmet or something. Thanks for every ones input so far

Is the lump soft or hard? Does it appear that there is bone under the skin? If the skull is formed, but for whatever reason the skin didn't close on the top her chances of survival are likely much higher. I'd guard against infection - keep it open and clean; and isolate (within eye and earshot if you can) of other chicks so she doesn't get pecked at. Some vitamins in her water may be helpful.

Good luck to you and the little peep - please keep us all posted on how it goes!

The lump is soft... however I didn't really poke it to much because I didn't want to hurt her but its not hard like bone or anything. Maybe something like a blood blister. I cant tell if there is bone under it or not. There are veins running through it. It has scabbed a little were the other chick had started to peck it before I could remove her. You can see in the 2ed pic it has a yellow tint to it on one side, what could that mean?

I have some up close pictures maybe someone might see something I dont and can tell if there is bone under it. I have no clue. Its dry now, some of her fuzz is dried to it. How should I clean it and what should I put on it if anything? I will defiantly keep every one posted. She/he is active, loud and other then a goofy head normal acting as far as I can tell. I know it looks like brain in the pictures but it doesn't in person. What type of vitamins should I add to the water?

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

Back
Top Bottom