Newborn chick with swollen eyes......Please help (pic added)!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tothemoon, Nov 6, 2009.

1. tothemoon

tothemoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    I just had a chick hatch with protruding, swollen eyes. Its eyelids are finally opening around the eye but will the eyes go down? What is wrong with it and is there anything I can do?

Edited to add pic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

ow, problem, i'm sorry can't help with chicks, i got my roo eye injured till his eyes can't be opened at all after a fight with other of my roo, and i just rub it using water, feed him better and i opened his eyes slowly and keep rubbing it to open it, and finally the eyes can open and functioning well but still short look and after 2-3 days all is normal again.

but i don't know about chicks' eye, hope anyone can help you.

3. tothemoon

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    I wanted to add another question.........Could a newborn chick have an illness or desease that could contaminate the other chicks?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think Avian encephalomyelitis is one that can be passed from hen to egg... but that said... VERY rare and if your parent stock even has it, they are probably all immune anyways.

So in short, there really isn't an illness or disease I can think of that can spread from one hatched chick to another if they are all in the same conditions. Often people hatch eggs and not buy chicks for this reason.

As for your chick, give it a few hours to settle into it's body. Sometimes new born bottoms are "too round," their heads "swollen," or fluid under their skin. In a day or two, things should even out. If not, it could be a birth defect from which you should decide for yourself what is best.

5. tothemoon

Sep 3, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:Thanks so much, I will wait a few days and thanks for giving me a little hope that it may clear up on its own!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have no idea about the eye problem with your chick.

I just wanted to say that they CAN surprise you. I had a chick hatch that tore itself pulling from the umbilical area. I put a band aid over it to keep the others from pecking at it. I thought for sure it wasn't going to make it. I kept it clean and bandaged, then I noticed a couple days later, there was fluid buildup. I thought infection. I almost culled it, but decided to wait until the next day as it was late. The next day it was running all over the place, eating and drinking. It's now been 2 weeks and it's perfectly fine.

Good luck with your little one.

7. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

The "sticky" on incubating and hatching by Texas A & M University (link at top of the Forum) mentions that difficulties with the eyes MIGHT BE shortage of Vitamin A or of Zinc. (I don't know a thing about it.)

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by