Newborn chick won't "uncurl"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlels, Feb 5, 2012.

1. littlels

littlels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    I have chicks hatching today and one of the chicks hatched out completely on its own; however, it won't "uncurl" It's legs are tucked up next to its side and the head is still twisted around and tucked underneath. She tries to move around and once in awhile gets her head out a little but then moves again and it is tucked back up.

WHY is she doing this and is there something I should do to help her?

2. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I just lost an older one due to curled legs, so I have been reading a lot about it this past week. Usually not a good sign, can be caused by vitamin B1 and B2 deficiency, bad genetics, slick flooring or factors during incubation. You can try putting braces on if it isn't too severe and gently keep guiding the little feet towards the right position every so often, but don't force them. For my older guy pipe cleaner and medical tape with gauze underneath for padding worked ok at the beginning. Good luck, I hope he will be up on his feet soon.

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

how long ago did she hatch?

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I would remove the chick and uncurl her very gently and move her joint around a little then place her back in the bator and do it again in an hour or so if tolerated. Sometimes it can take hours to get going depending on how difficult its hatch was.

5. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Probably because I have been reading the articles here and happened on the one about star gazing. But, I would try giving it baby vitamins without iron.

6. littlels

littlels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    This one took about 16 hours to hatch from first pip which I would say isn't terribly long. I have done lots of hatches before but never had one like this. I did carefully uncurl it a little and then left it alone for awhile. Man...it was just getting pummeled in the incubator with all the rest running around. [​IMG] I did it only 2 or 3 times and it started to do a little more on its own. It was so odd to basically see what the chick is like in the shell. Wow...what a crick in the neck! Anyway, today she is doing fine and I can't tell her from the rest! [​IMG]

I'm still curious as to why she was like that? Just too weak?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by