Newborn duckling with splayed legs and droopy neck.

AllCoop'dUp

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2010
Creswell, Oregon
Chicken hen successfully hatched 9 out of 12 duck eggs. One duckling has both splayed legs and a very weak droopy neck. I can tape up the legs, but then the ducky is flat out on it's belly with both legs behind it. Is drinking when assisted and will try and eat but is certainly not getting as much to eat as the others. Has anyone had a duckling this bad off survive? I don't know how to keep it's legs from flipping out behind it. It can manage to get under the hen for warmth but I don't think it will be able to keep up with the others.

How old is the duckling now?

If he has fully recovered from the effort of hatching and he is still all floppy (i.e. everyone else is fluffy and steady on their feet except him) then it sounds like it might be necessary to hand raise this little guy for a bit. Do you have a heat lamp or reading lamp and a box that you could use to rig up as a brooder? You can provide a small soft toy for company.

With any kind of leg or neck problems it can be extremely beneficial to give vitamins in the water - something like Sav-a-chick. Any kind of soluble vitamin meant for birds. It is even fine to use Berocca though! I'd make up some vitamin/Berocca water and give it to the duckling in an eye dropper. That, as well as keeping the little guy warm and safe, would be my priority.

With the legs, sounds like he doesn't even have the strength to get his feet under him. I'd try the vitamins for 24 hours and then try again with the leg taping. Make sure he is not on a slippery surface (if you put him in a brooder then an old bath towel is a good surface).

With feeding, see how he goes feeding himself without the competition of his siblings.

Hand raising as 70%cocoa suggests is a great idea. When I treat splay leg I like to try and prop up the duckling/ gosling in a tissue box- something thats supports the body but lets the legs dangle down rather than behind them which can create other problems. Legs are still taped- and it doesnt matter if they cant touch the ground- but can be good so they can use it a bit like with a baby in a walker strengthening their legs. Having some food and water within reach means it can help itself whenever it is hungry as well. Sadly the little one would quickly perish if left with the mother- or she may well kill it herself if it didnt strengthen up pretty quickly.

I'm sorry, but if the duckling is more than 2 days old, the droopy neck is not at all promising. You can sometimes fix the spraddle legs, but there isn't anything you can do about the neck.

Some ducklings are completely exhausted by the hatching process and they will be very limp until they gather their strength. So I wouldn't be alarmed for the first day or two. After that, I would predict there are no good things in the future for your duckling.

Go with the TLC for several days and see how it goes. Hatching is hard work, as you know, and some ducklings just don't have as much to work with as others. But sometimes extra assistance early on can help quite a bit!

Good news...baby is doing so much better today. Head is up and very alert. Baby has managed to get one leg under and is getting around with a slight limp. I tried to tape the legs together (hobble), but the vet wrap was a slight pinkish and the mother hen went crazy trying to pick it off. I'll need to pick up some other color of wrap tomorrow at the farm store.

Another question, I have a duck that is quite broody and happens to be the mother of the ducklings hatched by the chicken. How can I get the duck to accept the ducklings? She is sitting on a nest outside in the mud and I'd like to move her into the "nursery" with the ducklings tonight to see if I can get her to accept them. I'm sure the hen will be very protective of the ducklings and will attack the duck. What are my chances that I can get th duck to accept the babies. They are only 2 days old. Should I remove the hen and just leave the babies with the duck? I did this with my goose and it worked like a charm!

Thanks for your advice.

That is great news about the improvement in the duckling.

Personally, I would leave the ducklings with the chicken. She seems to be doing a good job so far, so I'd let her keep doing it. Giving them to the duck is a risk - you do not know how good a mother the duck will be. With the chicken, you know there is zero risk - she is already doing all the right things. You know what they say - if it ain't broke....! :)

I am with 70%cocoa on this. Let the hen finish her work, and concerning the duck, if she is well protected from harm, let her sit. If she is out there susceptible to predators, move her or build a safe pen around her.

leave the chicken with the ducklings, they will all do fine together :) One of my Bantam hens raised 2 ducklings beautifully!

Back
Top Bottom