Newborn goat question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by dkluzier, Mar 30, 2009.

1. dkluzier

dkluzier Chillin' With My Peeps

My nubian/pygmy cross bred to 100% nubian had twins, buck & doe. The buckling is 1/2 again bigger than the doe. Is this normal or should I be concerned about the girl being small and weaker?

Thanks,
    Kelly

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    She probably had less placental attachment than the buck. Keep an eye on her to make sure her brother doesnt push her off the teat. Chances are she'll be fine.

3. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    I agree.

4. dkluzier

thank you so much for the replies. She seems to be doing well at this time. He isn't pushy or anything with her. She is having some problems finding the teat yet has gotten the first nursing in. Mom has not rejected her or anything. Guess I'll keep that watchful eye on her and see.

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    You might help her find the teats as this is a very importent time for her to be eating or nursing as they need to nurse for energy and immunities...time is ticking and the first 12 hrs are important...My baby that was born this morning I helps find it and he hasnt stopped since and they remember really well sometimes... her brother might not be pushy now but he will get that way as they get older. Also make sure the teats are unplugged...hard for some to nurse with the plugs still in there.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  6. dkluzier

when the girl had problems nursing I milked out some and bottle fed the doeling. Am still trying to get her interested in the teat.

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Do you have any Vitamin E gel caps? I got my at Wal-mart and I poke a hole in it and sqeeze the gel cap into their mouth . I dothis untill they get the hang of nursing. Also a Bo-se hsot will help with the nursing also. She is tiny and it might take a bit. Sometimes I use a syringe ...no needle...make sure the milk is very warm their temp normally is 102. so its got to be warm to curdle in the tummy. She will get it it just takes time sometimes. I have had lots of milk on me before but then all of the sudden they just seem to get it. You might have a bottle baby and they sure take your heart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by