Newborn keets, medicated or non-medicated feed?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr., Aug 16, 2010.

1. Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr.

Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr. Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Ozarks
    I have new keets that just hatched yestrday. Should I give them medicated or non-medicated starter?

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I feed mine the Purina medicated chick starter. Most of the time I change them to the Purina gamebird startena after a week or two to get them the higher protien they need. My feed store doesn't carry this in the medicated and thats why I start with the chick starter. They will do fine on either but I like the medicated for all my birds.

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I mix the medicated chick starter with non medicated gamebird starter. If my feed store carried medicated gamebird starter I would use it.

4. Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr.

Mrs. BJ Hensley Jr. Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Ozarks
    whats the diff. between non-medicated game starter and non-medicated chick starter?

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Protein levels. Game feed is 26% and up, which is what keets should be started on.

I don't seem to have a problem with cocci so I never use medicated feed for anything. I do keep corrid to go in to the waterers just in case but have yet needed to use it.

6. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    Why give medicine to a bird that isn't sick?

7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    In this case medicated means a feed that includes amprollium. Amprollium to help protect the young birds from an over load of cocci.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    How are the keets doing and what are you feeding?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  9. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Non medicated game bird starter. I have used that with all my babies and they are fine. In a pinch I will mix it or if I'm doing a mixed flock. Wishing you well-they are a delight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by