Newborn puppy

Verojbri

Hatching
Jun 28, 2020
My blue heeler just had her first ever liter. She has five. They are 4 days old. She has a little runt that just recently stopped nursing and she was pushing him out. So I took him in and I am hand feeding him. But he almost never stops crying. I don’t know what to do. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

My blue heeler just had her first ever liter. She has five. They are 4 days old. She has a little runt that just recently stopped nursing and she was pushing him out. So I took him in and I am hand feeding him. But he almost never stops crying. I don’t know what to do. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

You might want to have him checked by a vet, there must be something seriously wrong with him for the mother to push him out.

do you put him back with the mother after feeding, massaging and cleaning him? He needs his belly massages for digestion.

I would have him nursing from Momma and not bottle feed him. Sounds like the puppy might be cold. They can't regulate body temperature. Have you been stimulating it to poop and pee? A warm damp cloth works.
Momma possibly knows the puppy has something wrong with it. A vet visit might be needed.

If there is some seriously wrong with the puppy, it is very unlikely a vet will be able help it. It is a sad but true fact of life that not every newborn, of whatever species, is going to be able to make it. If the puppy was mine, I would separate it, keep it warm, put in on the mother to nurse every couple hours or so, stimulate elimination and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom