1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newborns with crippled/broken legs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Huny, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    I will take pictures soon, but I have two chicks who can't bend their legs at the knees. Is this common? A temperature thing? A humidity thing?

Second, if they are getting food and water, do I cull them? They look healthy right now.

2. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Is the leg kind of sticking out straight to the side? Are they using it at all or can they get around? Kind of sounds like spradle leg. Do you have them on a slick surface? It's best to keep them on shavings or papertowel for the first 24 hours, then the shavings. If this is what it is, then take a band aid or medical tape and tape the legs together in a natural position. You will have to make sure that they get food and water every so often. This is what I do and I have even fixed a corninsh cross leg. Good luck and I hope your chicks turn out to be fine.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My little Salmon fav has a prob with her right leg. I cardboarded her toes but the leg is messed up. She drinks and eats a little but she is going down hill fast and constantly peeps. It annoys the other chicks. I'm wondering if I should cull and put her out of her misery.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I cannot help you with the cause. Hopefully someone else can and that might help you with your decision.

As far as culling, as long as they are healthy and not suffering, I'm usually slow to kill them. They could easily outgrow it. If they are suffering and not thriving, that is a different story.

I don't know why you are raising chickens and how it fits into your plans. With my set-up and goals, I would not let these chicks breed, even if they did recover. I would not want these traits in my flock. My preferred method of culling would be a frying pan, stew pot, or the oven. If you are looking for a pet or am egg layer only, not a breeding bird, these may work out fine for you. Depends on what you are after.

Hope this helps some.

5. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    My only silkie had bad legs so I had to cull him [​IMG] hubby is a sweetie and did it for me though... I hope your babies get better!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by