Newbs here! 4 new hens. feed amount and types?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stir-fry, Apr 12, 2009.

1. stir-fry

stir-fry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    Hi all, very cool site! we just got 4 hens and they are 2 yrs old. Here is the questions we are having trouble finding the answers on after 2 days of reading here..

1- whats amount of food per day each should they get?

2- what type of regular daily food (aside from treats) ?

3- how much scratch should they get daily? Im in Washington state and its averaging 40-60 degrees daily and 35-45 at night.

thanks!! we are really stoked about these girls! we already got 2 eggs [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:[​IMG] from Renton

1&2-I think most people let adult hens have unlimited layer food, either pellets, crumbles or mash. Available at feed stores usually.
    3- I only give a little scratch as a treat. If I'm out in the yard maybe a handfull for my 4 hens.

I also make them a bowl of veggies, fruits,etc daily.

Imp/Russ- What part of Washington?

3. stir-fry

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    Hi Russ! we are in covington area, this link was on a local fishing site, cool stuff! that means i gave wayy to much scratch yesterday oops. just gave them a dish with cooked white rice, banannas and apple chunks, and a tomatoe, they should be in heavin [​IMG] well that and the 11 yr old have been diggin them hand fulls of night crawlers that get sucked up lightning fast! [​IMG]

whatthe difference in mash / crumbles/layer?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Hi neighbor, your very close. There's lots of people from Washington here.

Layer is the food designed nutritionally for hens that are laying.
    It comes in 3 textures:
    Pellets are well pellets
    Crumbles are crumbled pellets
    Mash is the wet version(I have never used mash)

Which to use is a personal choice. Most people say that there is less waste with the pellets. Cause the chickens will eat them if spilled.

I don't know about feed stores in Covington. Maybe the closest is Reber Ranch. It's just off Kent/Kangley on 132nd. A few blocks behind the safeway. They sell everything you would need. I buy the Purina Layena pellets (50 lb bags) for about $15. And I don't think I go through 2 bags a year.(I also have 4 hens) I also use it occasionally for my pond.(cheaper than sinking fish food) You probably want to think about supplemental calcium for the shells. Just a couple bucks for a small bag of crushed oyster shell, last a long time as well.

Russ

5. stir-fry

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    ahh the mystery revealed! someone told us there is a place in Tacoma that sells feed very cheap. havent been yet though. We are close to Rebers. Its raining today of course so they are out there romping worms lol [​IMG]

Man i wish there was somewhere local to get chicken / livestock wire cheaper! WA stinks for supplies! 3'x50' chicken wire was $35 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by