Newby chicken-keeper in France

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bocky65, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Bocky65

Bocky65 In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2019
    Dordogne, France
    Hi there!

I live in rural France, and have recently acquired four beautiful chickens, aged around 5 months. I'm starting to have egg-laying problems, (not me - the chickens) so would appreciate any help/advice!

2. so lucky

so lucky Songster

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Hi, and Welcome! What do you mean by problems? Weird eggs? Not laying in the nests?

3. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Welcome to BYC!

I am much amused by your "not me, the chickens".

4. Bocky65

Bocky65 In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2019
    Dordogne, France
    Well, one (Henrietta) has gone broody, so I took her out of the coop and placed her in 'chicken jail' in our barn for a day and a half (it should've been three days, according to internet advice, but I felt so guilty, I let her out early!). The other three watched the goings-on intently, and have since stopped laying, so - no eggs at all! They all free-range, so I checked the surrounding bushes, but can't see any there. Henrietta's reverted back to spending all her time in the nest-box, so I decided to keep taking her out, at regular intervals, and it's becoming a battle of wills now. Do you think the others are just reacting to the situation by not laying?

5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Is there a way that you can put the broody in the cage inside of the coop and elevate it so that the air can get under her? Do not add any bedding inside of the cage.

6. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I just recently broke a broody.
    I kept her crated in the coop with 15 seven week old chicks ramrodding around her all day. She was up off the ground a bit to keep air flow on her belly. Before she went in the crate on her first morning, I hosed down her belly to cool her off and let her range until she returned to the nest, then in the crate she went. I booted her out each morning and as soon as she returned to the nest, back to the crate until late afternoon after all the hens were done laying then I booted her out again and closed the pop door.
    It took 3 nights and one day in the crate to break her.
    The rest of the hens slowed production I think because of her behavior when they approached the nest box. She was stressing everyone out.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Bon Jour . Thank you for joining us at Backyard Chickens.

8. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    hello @Bocky65 ! welcome to BYC :frow
    you need to keep her in chicken jail till she stops going back to the nest - she won't lay for at least a couple of weeks so anytime she's in there she's brooding. It's a classic 'got to be cruel to be kind' situation I'm afraid. The longer it goes on, the worse it gets apparently. I've only got one experience of this, but aart has a lot, see post #6 here
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/letting-the-broody-stay-broody.1317435/#post-21475304
    There is a europe thread too, here
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peeps-in-europe.1288348/

9. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!
    All the best

Pork Pie

10. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

ETA: @PouleChick stop by and say hi when you have a sec

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: