1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newby from Central Wi - advise on breed keeping? Thanks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cheesehead, Apr 1, 2012.

1. cheesehead

cheesehead New Egg

Apr 1, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    Hello!
    New to the site, ran across it looking for sebastopols. Not easy to find in my neck of the woods. I like this site, interesting. I live in central Wi, and went through a small ordeal involving the alderman coming to visit my property lot in the ( not all too busy) city. OUt city is small, it Wisconsin after all :) to OK it for poultry.
    Any who - some city meetings, a few signatures from neighbors getting the OK (which I went to the nearest 38 houses just in case) and a 4 page "why I think I should have the chance to raise hobby poultry in the city' ....and I became approved!
    Yay!
    But it is very hard, coming from growing up on a hobby farm to be so limited when there are so many tremendous breeds of everything out there! I do have some needed advice on which breeds are more worth wile to keep than others...I have 2 f Cayugas, 1 f white crested,one drake fawn indian runner, and 1 drake ancona. They are all so stinkin gorgeous, yearlings,and I get at least 3 eggs a day from the 3 hens. I would let them sit (which they have shown little interest in) but I would end up with a bunch of 'mixes' . If i had ducklings It would be nice to have purebreds for 4-H kids or something, not just mixes to sell because I can. The Cayugas are sooo pretty, my daughter thinks her white crested is her 'princess' - see - that poof in its head - thats the crown'....the runner is very handsome, quite hilarious, and the ancona really is just a breed you dont see often. I dont really care to pen them all up by breed if they went broody ( and all had mates) because I do not have all that much room in the city and I enjoy them waddeling about the yard not penned up....Now my daughter really wants a goose, a sebastopol. Which its hard to say No, I had an embden as a child and she was the best pet ever.so..sucks & a goose. (which just might be a house pet..*diapered goose*...never woudda thunk it WOW )......Any suggestions? Thanks.[​IMG]
    Thats about it. Newbie has had an 'intro'.
    Thanks for reading!

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. I love the duck breeds you have. We have Indian Runners too, & they're a riot to watch lol. Hope you can find Sebastopols for your daughter [​IMG]

5. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello & [​IMG] from Southern California! [​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup