1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newby from Missouri

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bird girl65438, May 9, 2016.

1. bird girl65438

bird girl65438 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    Hello and thank you for allowing me to join. Being new to this forum as well as farming chickens I am a little clueless as to where to find comments to my post. So I hope this is OK. I received 4 unsexed RIR over the weekend. All but one has brick red colored beaks. One is pale. Also one has noticeable tail feathers when the others don't. They are two weeks. Wondering if anyone could take a gander an tell me your opinion. If I can't find this thread again you may have to private message me your thoughts as I may not find my way back to this post. Thank you all[​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! What cute chicks you have there! I'm afraid I can't be of help as I've not kept RIR myself. I see you have posted in he what breed gender section, I'm sure members will be able help you there.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. jessjespersen

jessjespersen New Egg

Apr 29, 2016
    Neosho Missouri
    Where are you in Missouri? I'm in Missouri too!

4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    :woot

The one with a light beak is probably a rooster. Their feathers grow in slower.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It looks like it's beak is starting to get darker at the tip. Also roosters are usually slower at feathering in, and tail feathers. Don't rule it out - at this early age.

6. bird girl65438

May 9, 2016
    west of poplar bluff. Around the current. How about yourself?

7. bird girl65438

May 9, 2016
    Is there anyway of posting a particular area of my babies to give a better idea. I started this loving chickens thing back in March an jumped in feet first. I got a beautiful Roo (I can carry him around and he's kind an loving to me, we've earned one another trust) he was given to me and few days later got him some lady friends and one more roo (I'm not fond of him). I love, Love, Love my birds. I have fibro and battle depression and anxiety and they bring me joy. Here is my most favorite Roo. He's the red boy. His name is Roo lol yes I name them all. I love learning more and more about chickens.

8. jessjespersen

jessjespersen New Egg

Apr 29, 2016
    Neosho Missouri
    I'm in Neosho. 20 minutes south of Joplin.

1 person likes this.
  9. bird girl65438

May 9, 2016
    [​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by