1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Newby from Wisconsin

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sweeters, Nov 16, 2012.

1. sweeters

sweeters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Hi all. Thanks for the welcome wishes. [​IMG] I have a question about netting. I need to purchase the game netting that you put over the top of the chicken run because I'm afraid the eagles and hawks are gonna swoop down and steal my hens. Where can I purchase the best kind for the lowest cost. I need about 50' x 50'? Also, It's going to get down in the teens where I'm at in a couple of weeks and was wondering if the red heat lamps will be enough for them? Thanks for all your advice. You've been most helpful.[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hi again sweeters! I have no advice about the netting - maybe a google search? In terms of temps, a couple of questions about the age and number of your birds and about their coop. If the birds are fully feathered and youhave more than one bird, temps are likely not much of a problem. That being said, they need to have a coop that is pretty draft free. Chickens give off a lot of heat and can make it reasonably cozy inside their coop. My personal opinion is that, if the above conditions are met, they shouldn't need additional heat.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Try ebay, and I would recommend the heavy-duty poutry netting even with a higher price - it is much sturdier and longer lasting.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

6. ingeyoung

ingeyoung Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2012
    Georgia
    You can go to home depot ,and get the netting for the deers. It 's 7 feet by 100 feet.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Ebay's a great suggestion :thumbsup I bought some from a company last year and got a great deal. Just wish I could remember the name of the company, now lol.

8. sweeters

sweeters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I will for sure check into the Home Depot one and online.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by