Newby from Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sweeters, Nov 21, 2012.

1. sweeters

sweeters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2012
    I have another question uhggg! It seems like I always do! Lol! Anyhow, I was wondering about the deep litter method. I am doing just that and it bothers me when I go in there and see chicken droppings everywhere! I fluff the shavings about 2-3 times per week and add a 9 cubic foot bag to it about once a month. It doesn't smell in there, but it just looks so unclean! It really bothers me. Any suggestions or comments on this or better solutions would be most helpful. I really don't know what to do. Thanks again. [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hi, sweeters....Other than constant removing and replacing I'm not sure there is a way to avoid what you are describing. If it isn't too smelly that is a good sign that the litter is loose enough that it isn't getting compacted and producing methane. The birds themselves scratch and kick it around. So, despite the uncleanly appearance, I think what you are doing is right on the mark.

3. sweeters

Nov 15, 2012
    Okay! Thanks for the info. I feel better knowing that I'm not doing it wrong. I want my flock to be healthy and happy. Thanks! [​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. minpins99

minpins99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Nashua, NH
    You are SO right - your farm looks like heaven on earth to me, too! I'm so excited about starting my 'flock'. I'm looking at coops online and because the winters up here can be quite harsh and last longer (or seem to!) than the other 3 seasons, I want to make sure I do my research on keeping the flock warm.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. sweeters

Nov 15, 2012
    Hi everyone![​IMG] Thank you for all the welcome wishes. It's very WINDY and COLD up here in Wisconsin. Cannot sleep because the wind is so strong it sounds like the whole house is being blown over by it.One hundred year old farm houses sure were built strong back in the days. Thank God for good old days when things were made quality. Not like it is today. Hope my flock is okay. The barn is still standing so I guess their fine. Suppose to be 10 degrees this black friday morning. I'm not gonna brave the weather just to save a buck. Good luck to you all who are. Happy shopping.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by