Newby here...I'm a cross between animal lover, mild prepper and penny pincher!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MouseCheese, Nov 18, 2012.

1. So happy to find this site! I'm still in the research phase...need two or three quiet layers for sunny Southern California, urban San Gabriel Valley area. Any suggestions as far as breed goes? I love animals and was raised here with horses and livestock, and also want to be mildly prepared with some self-sustaining food supplies in case of an emergency (NOT a doomsday prepper but definitely prepared for 72 hour shelter in place) would also love to save money on eggs! Chicken fit the bill and I'm not sure why I haven't gotten them sooner, though I've thought of it often! Thanks for any advice or information! :)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Have a look in the Breeds section to see what's available and what their characteristics are. There are so many breeds available and everyone's different. Some lay very well, like Leghorns, some are stunning and lay colourful eggs, like Easter Eggers, some are really sweet, like Orpingtons... Have fun!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MouseCheese, and [​IMG]! Glad you joined us! I feel much the same way you do - kind of want to be perpared to rough it if I had to. I agree with sumi - Orps are friendly and quiet - I have a Blackstar and a Redstar which are also great layers, quiet, friendly, and great foragers. Best of luck to you!

4. Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm already scouting out the location in my yard for the coop, looking forward to having some sweet clucks soon! Will update and ask questions as it all comes along! Thanks again!

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from Northern California!

7. bigbangrooster

bigbangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

wow i feel welcome now i have lots of questions and ready to chat with fellow chicken lover

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

How loud birds are seems related more to the individual birds than the breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by