Newby here, looking at Isa Browns

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Creekbank, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Creekbank

Creekbank Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2014
    Northeast Indiana
    First time posting, long time looker. I had Banties several years ago, just for a hobby. I raised Silver Duckwings and would just give away breeding pairs to just about anyone that asked for them, including a few for 4-H projects. Well, I'm remodeling the hen house and just about done. I've partitioned off an area of 8'x8' in my 16'x16' kennel building and it has an outside covered run that is 8'x16'. Several family members want fresh eggs, so I'm looking at some Isa Brown's that are 6 mo. old and started laying last month. Considering maybe a dozen at this time. I just dread the cold winter!

2. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

The Isa Browns are another name for Red Sex Links. We have 3 of them in our mixed flock and they are great birds! They are dependable layers of big darkish brown eggs and they have wonderful personalities (friendly and very curious about everything). You should get a lot of eggs with 12 of them.

If you would like to connect with other members in your state, check out this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    They could have some good tips for taking care of your new flock in winter.

Nice to have you join us!

3. Creekbank

Nov 30, 2014
    Northeast Indiana
    Thanks for the reply!

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Isa Brown is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the offspring be sexed by color at hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. As NorthFlChick indicated, you should get loads of eggs from those girls. :eek:)

5. Creekbank

Nov 30, 2014
    Northeast Indiana
    Thanks for the info. I'm picking up the 6 month old hens today!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. Good luck in getting those eggs. :eek:)

7. tandykins

tandykins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    Gunning, NSW
    I love my Isa Browns. I'd had neighbours with them and had noticed how friendly and approachable they were. I got a couple of 18 month old hens from a friend who is a free range breeder and they have great production and are so sweet and tame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by