Newby in NW Arkansas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Iowano, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Iowano

Iowano New Egg

Aug 10, 2011
    Hello

I'm new, I live in a house with a small back yard in a middle class neighborhood, and I'd like to try starting with 3 hens in an ark sometime this fall. A friend has lent me many books on chickens, so I'm reading up as much as I can. Our city recently decided to allow chickens, but under strict guidelines.

However, I have two questions that I can't find answers for yet, so maybe someone here can help me or direct me to the proper forum.

One question is about predators. We have lots of possums, raccoons, and even a stray fox and coyote in the neighborhood. The books say bury the chicken wire several inches deep around the run so the predators can't dig underneath. But what about an ark or small chicken tractor? How do I keep predators from digging under those if I leave for work at 6:00 a. m. and sometimes come home after dark?

Question #2: Can I just mix and match 3 different chickens (so we can get different colored eggs)? Is there a way of knowing if they'll get along? My potential list so far is: Leghorn (just for getting the most eggs), Ameraucana, Welsummer, Australorps, Marans, Barnwelder, Hubbard Golden Comet, and Penedesenca. I really want mostly brown eggs.

Well, that's where I am right now in my quest for chickens. I'll appreciate any advice!

"Iowano" (but living in the Ozarks)

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad u joined us [​IMG]

3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can mix breeds without any problems. I don't know how you would secure an ark or tractor. If no one chimes in on this post, ask again under the coop building. It might be seen more there.

It's great that you can own chickens now. You will love them!!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! Glad to have you aboard! I concur with AZBootsie about posting in the other forums for more specialized advice. One thing you will be told is to not use chicken wire which raccoons go through without much trouble, but hardware cloth instead. Best of luck to you and your birds!! [​IMG]

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:Good question. I can't answer it but I'd try looking in the "Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance" section for an answer.

Question #2: Can I just mix and match 3 different chickens (so we can get different colored eggs)? Is there a way of knowing if they'll get along? My potential list so far is: Leghorn (just for getting the most eggs), Ameraucana, Welsummer, Australorps, Marans, Barnwelder, Hubbard Golden Comet, and Penedesenca. I really want mostly brown eggs.

Yep, you can mix breeds in your flocks, just about everyone does for one reason or another.
    If you'd like an idea on eggs, temperament, etc. try this: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#d

and BTW [​IMG]

8. Kountreefok

Kountreefok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Graceton, MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome. Glad you can have chickens...you'll love 'em! Never had any problems mixing breeds just remember they're individuals and like people will have individual preferences. even a few will still have to establish, and re-establish, a pecking order together so you may find it easier to start with birds that were raised together if you can. good luck and have fun!

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

10. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by