newby introduction - from Snohomish WA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by haika, Aug 18, 2011.

1. haika

haika New Egg

Aug 18, 2011
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? My first chickens were reared back in 1986 and I've had them ever since. Right now they share a fenced 1/2 acre pasture with domestic geese (toulouse and emden) with access to 2 additional 1/4 acre 'compartments'.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 10 adults + 8 new chicks (hatched in early June 2011)

(3) What breeds do you have? right now....rooster is a rescued light Brahma, hens: 1 buff orpington, 3 americana mix, 5 half light Brahma/half americana mix. I've had several dual purpose breeds over the years. Barred rocks are a favorite as well, black sex links, black australorps are also nice. I'd like to get some barred rock blood back in the mix but rearing chicks is a big hassle with Siberians around so I prefer to let the hens do all the work.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? google

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? gardening, pottery, Siberian huskies, tropical fish/goldfish/koi

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I've lived with Siberian huskies for several decades, have explored lots of crafts including batik, polymer clay, paper arts, quilting, weaving and right now I'm learning about slab based pottery. Just bought my first kiln. I pay my mortgage by being a research fishery biologist.

2. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD. [​IMG]

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

4. haika

haika New Egg

Aug 18, 2011
    Yes, Mr. Rescue is my third light Brahma rooster since 1986 and I really like their mellowness. He's been with me since summer of 2009. He was dumped at a local 'shopping village' with a country theme that has free-range poultry...I assume he was purchased as a pullet and pulled a surprise.

5. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    'Allo haika and welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  6. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    [​IMG] to BYC from MN!

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle