Newby Just Saying "Hi."

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rtwood42, Feb 25, 2013.

1. rtwood42

rtwood42 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Northern CA, near Chico.
    Hi Everybody, My name is Ryan.

I have already gleaned much information from searching the site (or being directed here by Google) but I have a few questions so I created an account and look forward to joining the fun! Thanks for all of the informative info.

Why the interest in this forum? When my wife bought her house (where I now live after marrying her three years ago) it came with a coop, run and some chickens, which she kept for some time. Unfortunately, some dogs squeezed under a fence and got into the run and another time, some raccoons reached through the fence and finished off the last of her chickens.

Sadly, the coop and run have been empty of chickens for about six years now. But we have decided that it is time to rectify that situation. I will soon be clearing out the coop and moving/rebuilding the run to make it more secure.

I have 25 Red Star chicks (12 of which will be going to my in-law's place to join their flock) on order which will be delivered in the middle of march. I am working on my brooder box, and cleaning out areas of my property that have to be cleaned out before I can clean out my coop. I am very excited to finish getting the brooder box ready for my chicks and then moving on to the coop and run repairs.

I am having fun deciding on litter type, what type of waterers to use, etc..., and that is why I am here.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

2. Hi!![​IMG][​IMG]

3. Welcome to BYC! glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills!

I think the thing which makes BYC so wonderful is the fact that when something bad happens to any member of my flock, I no longer have those "Oh my gawd, what am I gonna do!?!?" sessions. I know what to do: check BYC.

When I have a silly chicken story to share, I know I can come to BYC and others will get to share the memory with me. Or show off photos of my chickens. Or look at baby chick pictures. Folks here understand.

When I need new coop ideas, I come to BYC. When I incubate eggs and hatch chicks, I come to BYC.

I built two different PVC feeders from detailed instructions and photos posted by BYC members. And they work for me! I mean, for the flock. Which makes it work for me.

:lol:

1 person likes this.
  6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Ryan, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I love Red Stars! They are friendly and great layers! Enjoy and have fun!!

8. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Hardware cloth is a must if you have racoons and other predators around. Also, ensure to extend the wire down about a foot into the ground and then away from the coop and run about six inches. Anilmals wont be able to dig under the framework. Hardware cloth has holes small enough to keep the racoons from reaching in and also keeps any rats drawn to the scent of chickens from getting in. Best of luck and keep the hens happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by