newby looking for a solution to my mean RIR roosters..

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by momto5, Jan 3, 2010.

1. momto5

momto5 New Egg

Mar 26, 2009
    MOORESVILLE.MARTINSVILLE
    hello!
    we have 2 rir's roos.. they are about 10 months old..and huge..we got them as chicks (were supposed to be pullets) anyway.. they have gotten so mean.. they spur anyone that goes out to feed .. they are housed with 5 hens.. 1 rir.. 1 bantam, and 2 americanas.. they mostly free range..
    my question is.. are they to old to eat?? how do you 'cull' them.. im not squeamish.. so i could do it.. especially the one that spurs me in the back everytime i turn around.. i have an 18 month old baby.. as well as 4 other kids.. (the roos chase them..litteraly..throught the yard..) so im actually looking forward to getting rid of these roos..
    any suggestions as to what to do with them.. or if they are edible.. i would appreciate!
    (im thinking of raising some meat birds too.. any suggestions on that i would love too!)
    thanks

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:heck been there before. they would be tough but not in a stew pot! I cook mine all day to make a nice broth and feed the meat back to the chickens with rice and veggies! sorta like a pay back for them:). You can eat it though. I just wack the head off and hang them to drain!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are a few different ways to dispatch them. I use and ax and a chopping block. Some people use a killing cone. This link of how Frugal does the whole process is graphic but may be of help to you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=109583

As far as cooking, you need to cook them long and slow. A crock pot, stew, whatever as long as the water never really boils above a barely boiling and they will eventually get tender. If nothing else, you can make broth with them. We use the backs, necks, wings, gizzard, feet, and heart to make broth and pick the meat off the neck, back and wings to use in chicken salad, chicken tacos, or a pasta dish. Definitely long and slow though.

I also advise plucking them instead of skinning. I recently skinned a 32 week old rooster and it was very difficult. A 20 week old skinned easily but not this one!

4. zaylinda

zaylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Tacoma WA
    Crock-pot them overnight with a little water and some seasonings, and the next day... Chicken & Dumplings! Yum! You just can't beat the flavor of a mature free-range bird if you cook it right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by