Newby saying HELLO!!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Littlefaceza, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Littlefaceza

Littlefaceza Chirping

Jan 12, 2018
    Cape Town
    Hi Everyone
    My name is Dominique and I live in Cape Town, South Africa.
    I am completely new to keeping chickens as pets and would like as much as information as possible to make sure my new feathered children have happy healthy lives!
    We have numerous chickens at the yard where I stable my horse so this is where my new obsession started. I have fallen in love with a silkie chicken at the stables named buttercup! She is the cutest, fluffiest and friendliest little hen. she lets you pick her up and cuddle her all the time! My husband is currently building our chicken coop and we have a few chicks at the stables which (if there are hens) I will be taking 3 of them home once our coop is ready.
    I am very excited to be part of BYC and looking forward to reading all the articles etc.

Attached Files:

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Dominique and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

We have quite a few members from SA, so maybe say hello on this forum, in the hope that you link up with them - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/where-am-i-where-are-you.26/

All the best

Pork Pie

3. Littlefaceza

Littlefaceza Chirping

Jan 12, 2018
    Cape Town
    Thanks very much!!!! I am very excited to start reading :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You're most welcome

5. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 Be the change you wish to see. Premium Member Project Manager

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Hello Dominique and welcome to BYC!! It’s so nice to have you join us. welcome.gif

This video may help with learning how to navigate the new site.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask one of us. :)

6. Pjacct

Pjacct Songster

Dec 1, 2017
    Sydney, AU
    Welcome, lots of friendly and helpful advice here. I’m sure you will find t a great place for all things

7. blackdust951

blackdust951 Ostrich egg

Jul 24, 2017
    NSW Australia
    My Coop
    :welcomeit's great to have you here!:celebrate:caf
    G'day Dominique:frowand welcome to backyard chickens!we're so happy you've decided to join us:yesss::ya enjoy your time here!:D

8. AllenK RGV

AllenK RGV Chicken Addict Premium Member

Welcome to the family Dominique, and to our addiction! Best of luck with your flock. While silkies aren't a breed that would work for me I definately see their appeal to others so am glad you have a plan to integrate them into your home. I hope they bring you many years of joy.

Please be sure to predator proof for them to save yourself a lot of heartache later as nobody wants to see you go through that pain. I only mention this as I read reports entirely too often that this breed is weaker against predators, however, many keep them very successfully without issues and even keep them as housepets with diapers....

9. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Dominique, it's nice to have you here! Make yourself at home and have fun!

10. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Crowing

Feb 22, 2016
    South East England
    My Coop
    :welcome
    We hope you enjoy it here! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by