Newby

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newby1, Jan 12, 2013.

1. newby1

newby1 New Egg

Jan 12, 2013
    Hello chicken lovers, I'm a newby at this chicken thing. Always have had a love for chickens. Can't say why it just is there. Well my husband and I decided nows the time. The chicks arrived just after Thanksgiving 2012. 5 beauties. They are all doing well. They are fun and last night Honey got out of the brooder and was walking around the room. They are great fun and great for laughs. I could just watch them for hours.
    My question to all you chicken keeps is: my chicks are now 6 weeks old and look like small chickens. They are eating well, drinking well, I have the baby cakes hanging in the brooder and give them worms, hard boiled eggs for treats. ( not a lot ) But I find that they are eating the Wood Shavings! Is this normal and can this hurt them?
    Thank you so very much
    Newby

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, newby1, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined the ranks of happy chicken owners! They may be pecking that shavings out of curiosity...are they actually eating them? Because this isn't normal. You might give them other distractions....lettuce, a little brad perhaps. I think they'll learn what is food and what isn't. Good luck to you!

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!! :) That is not normal and can cause problems. I would put them on paper towels for a while and then put them back on the shavings.

4. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Hi there from Colorado [​IMG] I've learned quite a bit from this site so keep on it... P

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined

6. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

7. newby1

newby1 New Egg

Jan 12, 2013
    Hello Redsoxs, And to all that gave advice and a Hello!
    I do give them lettuce, a little, I thought I would try spinach and cabbage. They are eating the wood shavings. I will try to add afew new pecking items. We are in Northern New Jersey so it is toooo cold to set them up in their coop, which we have but not put together yet. I think once they get outside they will have tons of things to peck at! But until then I will try other things for them to eat. Thank you all so very much! Newby1

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by