Newcastle Disease Vaccination - Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thailand, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Hi. Can anyone please advise me if its ok to give an annual booster vaccination for Newcastle disease (La Sota) strain?

I have a bunch of new chicks/older chickens that need vaccination, but I cant remember which of my existing flock I vaccinated last year :barnie

Is it ok to re-vaccinate chickens over a year later?

Thanks. :caf

slordaz and cavemanrich like this.
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    How many new chicks and how many older birds?
    Are you using flock vaccination in water or by spray or administering to birds individually?
    Are you using the live virus or an inactivated vaccine. I believe you can revaccinate through the years. Only about 85% or less of vaccinated birds are protected.
    https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...virus-infections/newcastle-disease-in-poultry
    It helps to wingband birds so you can keep a log of vaccinations, other medications and breeding.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    cavemanrich and slordaz like this.
  3. Hi. Thanks so much for yoyr reply.
    Answers to your whuestions:
    1. New chicks/older birds....if you're asking the age range, I'd say from 3 months old to 1 year.
    2.Vaccinating each individual bird.
    3. I'll be using live virus.
    Thanks for the link....as soon as I get a moment I'll take a look.at that.
    Great tip about wing banding too. :)

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I used to use numbered leg bandettes, changing colors each year so I could tell from a distance how old the birds were but they would constantly lose the bandettes so I finally switched to numbered wing bands. What I don't like about them is you have to handle the bird to read them. With wild birds, I can only do that at night. What is good about them is that you can band baby chicks and it will be with them for life.

Another thing you can do if treating grown birds is to put a zip tie on the leg of each one after treating. I do that if worming a flock. That way if I don't get through all of them, I know which ones still have to be done.

5. Just read the link you posted above. So it seems its perfectly ok to re-vaccinate chickens then. Have I understood correctly?

"The frequency of revaccination to protect chickens throughout life largely depends on the risk of exposure and virulence of the field virus challenge."

Folly's place and ChickenCanoe like this.
  6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's how I understand it.
    My daughter was in Chiang Mai a couple years age and pretty much everywhere else in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Viet Nam.

thailand likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: