Newcastle disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DancesWithWolves, Nov 18, 2009.

1. DancesWithWolves

DancesWithWolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    My chickens have Newcastles disease sadly and i was wondering if there is anything I can do. 4 have died allready, (*we ussually kill them if they show signs of the disease) I was researching on the internet (google) and I couldn't find any cure but I was wondering if you guys knew any. Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    How was the diagnosis of newcastle made?

3. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
  4. New Castle disease is a REPORTABLE disease. You have to report this to your state.

I really doubt that this is what you have. You may have Marek's.

I too am curious as to how you know it is Newcastle ?

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

END (Exotic Newcastle Disease) had an outbreak in California and the Southwest a few years back among exotic birds such as psittacines & others, but wasn't reported to exist in domestic fowl as far as I can recall. I DO think there were some domestic flocks that were ordered completely eradicated as a precaution (and probably overkill to the highest degree). Did you have a necropsy done, or was that an off the cuff diagnosis or guess? (not trying to be inflammatory, just wondering if it was a conclusion from symptoms, or if there were actual lab tests & necropsies done).

6. DancesWithWolves

DancesWithWolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    all the same symptoms I called our vet and they said thats what it wad so IDK what to do....
    they were vaccinated for mareks and they were tested so I don't think its that.
    there were no lab tests.
    we have been burning the bodies when they die and we ussually kill them as soon as we see that they have it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by