Newcastle\Salmonella Vaccine Side Effects - Deformed Eggs (!?)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Caille, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Caille

Caille Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Hi everyone,

About a month ago I vaccinated my 2 years old female quail against salmonella and newcastle disease. Ever since, there's been a reduction in the number of eggs she lays (used to be each day) and they are deformed - soft shell, brown, the size of a fingernail. It's the first time I've ever seen her laying such eggs, and am worried it might have something to do with either of the vaccinations she's got (see picture). Apart from that she seems like her usual self, alert playful eating and drinking regularly. I make sure to provide her with layer's mixture alongside grit and cuttlefish bone. Have you ever experienced such a phenomeon? Your advise as to the cause and treament of it all will be appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That's a new one on me. Here's a friendly bump to get you back at the top of the queue.

I hope you figure out what's going on.

Good luck.

3. Caille

Caille Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Thanks! My quail is still laying those tiny, brown, soft-shelled eggs but overall is doing fine. I sure hope she gets passed this because she's generally a good layer

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You may want to have this post moved to the Quail section of the forum. They might be able to give you more help over there. I am sorry we couldn't be more help here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by