newchick new to chickens

newchick35

In the Brooder
May 20, 2015
Southern Illinois
Hi everyone. I am glad to be a part of this crazy chicken world. I am a first time chicken owner. I have raised all of my kids, (well mostly/are they ever raised?) now I'm raising chickens.
D.gif
My boyfriend and I have an odd way of getting started. Believe it or not, we had a stray chicken from the neighborhood come up to our old farm house that we are in the process of redoing. It was just at the first of this year. It was and easter egger/ameraucana not sure of all the differences yet. I had no idea that chickens were smart. I was raised in a small town and participated in 4H and around animals growing up. I am not particularly a huge dog or cat fan, but I figured out that I LOVE CHICKENS!!!!!
love.gif
This stray was, from what I know now, just getting into good laying age. Laying almost an egg a day. We had very cold tempatures late into spring. We named her Kitty and called her like calling a cat. She followed my boyfriend around the yard anytime he was outside. We kept her safe from critters at night and let her roam the yard during the day. One day, right after the weather broke, I guess her owners found her because we had footprints in the snow and Kitty was gone. It was amazing that I could become that attached to a chicken. Needless to say, that, before the end of March we had bought 6 baby chicks, 3days old. They are ow 9 weeks old. We have 2 RIR Reba and Ruby. 2 Gold lace Wyandotte Patsy and Loretta , and 2 Black Australorps Dolly and Dumplin. I have spoiled them rotten and I am completly obsessed with there chickens. I have so many questions. I am sorry for rambling I just wanted to say hello. I look forward to learning alot from everyone.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I don't think your rambling, that's a lovely introduction and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading yours. I actually have a cat called Kitty!! I'm sorry that kitty was taken back that really must have been hard when you had grown so attached to her. She sounded like a great pet chicken. They are so easy to fall in love with as you have found out.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your 9 week olds, they have some fantastic names. I particularly like Dolly and Dumplin. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am sorry about losing Kitty. But at least she had a wonderful home before she was taken back home! AND you fell in love with chickens!

Congrats on your new babies. I hope they bring you just as much joy.

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about your birds, feel free to ask around the forums. Welcome to our flock!

Sorry about Kitty. I know how badly I would feel to have her taken away. I hope her true owner reclaimed her, and not some neighbor that didn't want a chicken in the area. We hear a lot of that on this thread. Just in case please keep an eye on your new ones. Chicken folks often discover 2 legged predators are just as bad the as wild ones.
Too bad you didn't follow the footprints in the snow to see just where Kitty was taken. Welcome to Backyard chickens, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Back
Top Bottom