Newcomer-best to get baby chicks or few week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SassyKat6181, Aug 30, 2010.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    HI! I am new here and looking to raise chickens for eggs. I have a partially underground horse barn (stays above 20 degrees all winter) and I am in the process of knocking out a wall between two stalls and making it into a coop. There is also an attached outdoor ring that I am fencing and putting a net over.

My question is: Should I order/buy chicks to raise or should I get some a few weeks old already?

2. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    When we bought our first chicks in mid-May we bought a variety of ages. They were 1, 2 and 3 weeks old. It worked out well for us. They all got along, no feather picking or pecking each other. We've always spent a lot of time with them and handled them so they are friendly. If I had to choose though I think I'd get a little bit older chicks. Less time to wait for eggs! [​IMG]

3. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    I wouldn't miss out on the babies for ANYTHING! They are so fun and cute and irresistable!!!! To me, that's one of the best parts of having chickens!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you buy chickens, make sure that you buy them from someone who has a healthy flock! Inspect the birds for lice, mites, respiratory diseases, etc.

Inspect the housing for cleanliness. Some chickens get into bad habits if they are overcrowded, like picking feathers.

Day old chicks have their advantages. Some people go the hatching egg route to avoid disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by