Newcomer in East Tennessee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jmhodder, Mar 22, 2017.

1. jmhodder

jmhodder Just Hatched

Mar 22, 2017
    Sevierville, Tennessee
    Howdy. I'm a newcomer to raising chickens. I am in East Tennessee, so it's all four seasons and a mild winter. I am mid-construction on my coop, which is 5x5 with a run of 60 sq. feet. It will house at most six hens. I am modeling it after the Carolina Coops designs so that it will be a good home for the girls. Hopefully they will be happy. I've read the coop is the most important thing towards happy and healthy chickens, which will hopefully result in some friendly girls. They will have a nice covered run and the ability to free range as well while I'm around to keep an eye on them. We've got 4.5 acres, so they'll have some space.

I'm more interested in the pet aspect than egg production. I want them to be friendly, so I'm going with chicks so they will hopefully bond with us early on and not be shy or aggressive towards us. I've laughed when reading that some breeds will follow you around, are liable to sit in your lap and talk to you, or desire petting and companionship. That would be ideal, but I'm a realist. Healthy, happy and friendly and I'm alright with it. The plan is to get around 4, but maybe as many as 6. I would like some Orpingtons, Sussex, and maybe some Bantam Barred Rocks. I love the look of Silkies but I'm a little put off by the idea of dealing with the broodiness. That may be too much for an inexperienced owner. Maybe later on.

Thanks to everyone who has written posts and articles about choosing breeds, feeding, brooding, and coop building. This site has been a great resource for my research. I'm sure it will continue to help as I develop my skills as a keeper. I'm willing to put in the time reading and learning, but if anyone has experience with the breeds I've listed that they would like to share, I'm open to advice or constructive criticism as well.

-Jason

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Jason, Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. You can also post on your state thread. Just put Tennessee in the search box above and it will come up for you.

Some other generally docile breeds are Cochin, Black Australorp, and Brahmas. You can check out the breed reviews to see what actual owners have to say.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Jason, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes to you and your flock!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Jason [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock or the coop build, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Jason and welcome to BYC

Best wishes
    CT

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]