Newcomer Loving the Zen of Hen!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Downton Eggy, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Downton Eggy

Downton Eggy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2016
    Hello! My name is Susannah Charleson, and I am one of two proud owners of a new coop (as of March) and ten pullets. The coop/run we call 'Downton Eggy', and we had a lot of fun with it, using reclaimed stained glass, a Victorian screen door, that kind of thing. The chooks have their own private fenced backyard to free range and a long run for inclement weather, etc. Because they are new to us, we have not let them free range much yet--trying to learn their ways and get them used to cues that it's time to return to the run/coop. (I'm a dog trainer, so we're having fun using clickers and verbal cues. Hoping to teach them a chicken dance.)

We have:
    Two Silkies (Lady Mary and Lady Eat-It)
    Four Seramas (Mrs. Peckmore, Daisy, Mrs. Hughes, Anna Bates)
    Two Polish (Lady May, Miss Towler)
    One Barnevelder (Mrs. Bk-Bk-BkCrawley)
    One Swedish Flower (The Dowager Countess, Lady Violet)

At present, two of our Seramas are quite young (8 weeks) and the two Polish are 16-18 weeks, so we have not put them in the coop with the established hens (25+ weeks) yet. They are in their own protected temporary coops and separated until 20 weeks old. So far, everyone gets along quite well in the big coop run and in the smaller temporary coops. I look forward to the time they can all be together. They can hear and see each other now, just from a distance. The littlest Seramas are actually in a playhouse that I use for reading and writing--but I'm so happy to have an airy, protected space for them to grow up safely. It's a nice space to visit with them, too. One of the established Seramas, Daisy, is a most curious, sociable little soul--and very nosy. When I'm working in the coop or run or in their yard, she has to be right there, supervising and chattering at me. Love my girls, many of whom seem happy in my lap or on my foot when I'm sitting in the run with them.

So happy to be here. Reading a lot and enjoying all the photos. I look forward to learning a great deal. Thanks to all in advance for the thoughtful posts that make this adventure even more rewarding.

Susannah

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Aww... your birds sound adorable! Love those Seramas. I don't keep them but I should right? LOL So much bird in such a tiny package!! And of course Polish are just as adorable too.

Feel free to share your birds and experiences around our forums. Oh and ask any questions you may have too!

So pull up a roost bar and make yourself at home.

We do welcome you to our flock! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. My friend has two mature serama ladies, they look like feathery soccer balls - round, firm, and fully packed.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Susannah and welcome to our community. I hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes

CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by