Newcomers being picked on!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beanieh, Feb 24, 2013.

1. beanieh

beanieh New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    I have 4 adult hens and one rooster. Someone gave us four adult hens and I put them in our pen. My original chickens are being mean to the new comers and wont leave them be sometimes chasing them away from the food. Will they ever settle down and leave them alone? What can I do ? I let my chickens out in the orchard most days and it lets the new ones "rest" from being picked on, and when can I let the new ones out for awhile? It's only been a few days since Ive had them.......help!!!!

2. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    I had the same problem when I introduced new hens. It will settle down once they get the pecking order down. When you add new chickens, it disrupts the original pecking order and it has to be re-established. As for the new ones, I would go ahead and let the new ones out for a while during the day too

3. beanieh

beanieh New Egg

Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks, I feel better!!!!!

4. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    You may try some apple cider vinegar in their water to help with the stress. When I added my new ones, they all quit laying for a couple of weeks due to the stress. I added the ACV to their water and within the next week, they were all laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by