Newcomers injured

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MTChickenMan, Nov 26, 2014.

1. MTChickenMan

MTChickenMan New Egg

Nov 26, 2014
    I was recently given a couple hens from some friends who wanted out of the "chicken business." They've been together with my existing 5 hens for about a week with a bit of pecking going on. Well, it snowed about 6" last night so none of them would leave the coop this am. I came home to find the new hens had been pecked so much they were bloody and missing some feathers. I've separated the birds for the time being. I'm most concerned about lack of feathers and the subzero temps due this weekend. Any suggestions about injuries and keeping them warm yet separated?

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    Winter is a rough time for all, boredom is rife,especially for chickens! [​IMG] Are you able to section off an area in your coop for the new girls? That way they can stay in the warm coop, but not be plucked at. Use some blukote or similar on the red, bloody areas (keep out of wounds), to make it less attractive. Wash areas with warm water and put some antibiotic ointment on any deep areas. Don't use anything with -caine in it (xylocain/lidocain etc.) poisonous to fowl.
    To alleviate boredom try some diversion tactics - cabbage tether ball is a favorite in my coop, a seed block (store bought/home made). How much room do your girls have in their coop?

3. MTChickenMan

MTChickenMan New Egg

Nov 26, 2014
    Thanks for the reply boskelli. I might be able to section off the coop. It's 6x4 with 3 nesting boxes. Cabbage tetherball sounds like it may be their new winter "Olympic" event!

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    [​IMG] it's a shame they don't have 'Chicken Olympics"....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by