Newegg needs some help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eakthekat, Jul 1, 2008.

1. eakthekat

eakthekat New Egg

Jun 29, 2008
    Shreveport, LA
    Hi, I just bought 4 barred rock chicks yesterday. I've had them in a laundry basket because they are so timy. We covered them last night to let them know it was time for bed. When I woke up and got them out this morning, they were freezing cold and full of poop! I immediately rushed them outside, got them in the sun, and cleaned them off with chlorine free baby wipes. What am I doing wrong? It's been 20+ years since I've had chicks. I don't want my chicks to die, they are just too cute! The AC in the house was set at 77 last night. I didn't think that would be too cold. Should I start keeping them on my glassed in front porch until they coop is fully built? What is the temperature limit for cold weather? Should I buy a heat lamp? I was told very little when I purchased them.

Thanks,
    Tecee

2. summerwindsfarm

summerwindsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Stroud, Oklahoma
    You didnt say how young they are but it sounds like they are pretty small. When chicks are first hatched they need temps of 95..decreased 5 degrees a week. So yes if they are really small you need a heat lamp on them. Put the lamp on one side so that they can get under it if they feel chilled or away from it if they get too warm.

They dont need it dark to sleep. Leave the light on for them 24 hours a day and make sure that they have fresh water and feed in with them all the time.

3. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    Yes, they need heat. The first week needs to be about 95F.
    YOu can use a regular light bulb or get a special heat bulb to keep them warm. I have had a hard time keeping mine at the 'right' temps, sometimes off by 10 degrees, but so far mine seem to be okay.

JC

4. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    Chicks need to have a brooder of 90-95 degrees (right under the heat lamp for the first week of their life. Then 5 degrees less every week after that. Use papertowels on the bottom of you basket. It will help so they arent sliding around and getting spradle leg. If the poo is stuck to the bottom of their butts try using baby oil on the "problem area".

5. eakthekat

eakthekat New Egg

Jun 29, 2008
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks everybody! They woke back up when I got them in the sun. I've been bathing them with warm water and baby soap to get the poop off, then wrapping them in a towel. They've dried off pretty quickly with no poop left on their little hineys. My boys just love them! Even my 2 month old! [​IMG]

Thanks again,
    Tecee

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Did you not have a heat lamp for them?

7. eakthekat

eakthekat New Egg

Jun 29, 2008
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm going to go to a pet store and buy one today. Will a heat lamp for reptiles work?

8. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:any type of heat lamp will work, but you'd probably save money by going to a farm/garden store and buying a brooder lamp. they're pretty inexpensive compared to pet store prices. i got a nice one with a porcelain socket and a wire guard for about $10.

9. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on the babies. Yes they need heat. Use paper towels as stated so they don't get hurt. Keep an eye on the pasty butt, check often and keep it clean. You can put baby oil on after cleaning to keep the butt clean. Best luck with the babies they are great.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

10. eakthekat

eakthekat New Egg

Jun 29, 2008
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks everyone. I did get a heat lamp. Unfortunately, Sammy and Diane died. My sons were heartbroken. Diane belonged to my oldest and Sammy belonged to my middle child. We bought 4 more. I bought 2 Rhode Island Reds- Angel and Rose, 1 part Silkie part Brahma- Silky, 1 Dominique- Black Beauty, and my Barred Rocks that are thriving, Libby and Jacquie. The farmer that I saw today sold me some older chicks and told me that the ones that I bought were way too young. He also said that it is not unheard of to loose a chick to drowning in their water feeder when they are that young. I bought a water feeder from the feed store, but they fell asleep next to the feeder, their heads drooped right into the water dish and they drowned. My mom said that they can also drown in a heavy rain storm while looking up trying to figure out where the rain is coming from. I don't know if any of you have experienced anything like this. My kids were crushed! I think they'll do better with the older chicks though.

Tecee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by