"Newer" Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by carldaugh, Jun 13, 2016.

1. carldaugh

carldaugh Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Holopaw, Florida
    Hello BYC Community,

While I'm not a "brand new" BYC member I am fairly new to our flock of 20. 16 chicks, & 4 adults. I had raised chickens while i was a child, a long time ago, it seems. We had 150-200 in a huge "chicken house" on our small 3 acre farm in PA. We now live in Florida and just recently got onto a property sufficient for livestock. Our family decided to start with chickens. As mentioned we have 20 total. The adults are 1 Leghorn (so I've been told, see my avatar), 2 RIR hens, & 1 silkie. The chicks (now 3 months old) are 7 Golden Comets, 4 White Leghorns, 5 RIR's,
    We discovered BYC doing a search google online, in which we had a few questions and BYC page was linked with the question we were asking. My daughter, although grown, is enjoying these chicks more than anyone else, they are great therapy for her. She is having several health issues which keep her from working. The chickens keep her enjoying life, and not "focusing" on her health issues. My wife, calls to "Leghorn" (My avatar) every morning from the back porch and, as if, on demand, he gives his "good-morning" crow. We have, since joining BYC, asked and even answered (where we have some experience) several posts. I do have one question though.... below my login name there is a "title" of "New Egg".... When do we "graduate" to each level as I've seen others that seem to maybe be associated with their experience or time on BYC?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Aww...your Rooster sounds adorable!! Pretty too! We kept Leghorns when I was growing up too. Mostly for meat and eggs. Now I raise them for eggs and entertainment. LOL

I am glad your daughter is enjoying them as well. Chickens are great therapy and stress relievers. The coop is my "woman cave" so to speak. LOL I go there when I need to be alone and think while all the chickens pile on my lap and comfort me. Ha!

Here is a thread on those user titles and how they work and when they change.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...s-what-are-they-and-how-when-are-they-changed

BYC is so addicting, soon you will be a Flock Master...just wait and see!

Make yourself at home here and ask any questions you may have.

So pull up a roost bar and welcome to our flock! :)

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

The rooster in your avatar sure is gorgeous! I love how your wife and him like to talk to each other each morning! How cute! And I'm so glad your daughter is enjoying the chickens as well. Chicken raising sure can be a wonderful adventure for the WHOLE family.

TwoCrows has left you with the perfect link to answering your question. The short answer is, the more you post, the higher you go. And don't worry, you won't find BYC too hard to post on.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

6. RingosGarden

RingosGarden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2016
    Mound House, NV
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck to you!
    [​IMG]

7. LaurelTree

LaurelTree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2016
    Central Florida
    Welcome to BYC! I'm so glad your chickens are helping your daughter. Mine have definitely been therapy for me as well.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Watching chicken tv is very therapeutic

9. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    :woot